Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file 1041 if no tax is due?

Sold father's personal residence during probate, all proceeds distributed to beneficiaries. We got a late 1099-S form for the sale, and due to stepped-up basis there's only about 5K in long term gains. There was no other income and no tax seems to be due. 

1. Do I still need to file the return, even if calculations show no tax due?

2. Do I need to send K-1 forms to beneficiaries even if the distribution isn't taxable? 

One IRS publication said we need to file if we get a 1099-S, which makes me think I need to file even if no tax is due, but I'm not sure what to do about K-1s.

Thanks in advance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, if what you determine the gain to be is correct, and regardless of any tax due.  If there is any income within the estate for the tax year that is  $600 or more, a Form 1041 must be filed.

Yes assuming the estate received the proceeds and then distributed the gain to them, each beneficiary needs the K-1 if there is income distributed to them.

The distributable net income may indicate there is no tax however if there truly was a gain, it will be distributed to the beneficiaries. 

You definitely have a stepped up basis due to inheritance, and it seems you understand that, however you also say there is a gain in excess of the filing requirement.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, if what you determine the gain to be is correct, and regardless of any tax due.  If there is any income within the estate for the tax year that is  $600 or more, a Form 1041 must be filed.

Yes assuming the estate received the proceeds and then distributed the gain to them, each beneficiary needs the K-1 if there is income distributed to them.

The distributable net income may indicate there is no tax however if there truly was a gain, it will be distributed to the beneficiaries. 

You definitely have a stepped up basis due to inheritance, and it seems you understand that, however you also say there is a gain in excess of the filing requirement.  

So on Form 8949 ... describing the sale of the house which generated all the capital gains  ... is "date acquired" (Part II column b) the date he originally acquired the house  )from the point of view of the individual) or do I use his date of death (from the point of view of the estate)? 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You would use the date of death at the date acquired, as that is the day the trust acquired it. Any gain should be considered long term capital gain even if the property was not not held for more than a year by the estate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies