Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsaenz58

Do i need a EIN? I pay rent as a personal trainer to train clients at my gym.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Are you asking if you need an EIN for yourself or for the gym (to whom I assume you may be sending the 1099-MISC to report the rent)?

Generally, YOU need an EIN only IF you have employees in your business (which you probably don't).

To determine if you need an EIN for yourself, please see https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/do-you-need-an-ein

But if you are referring to filing a 1099-MISC to report the rent that you pay the gym, then not having the gym's EIN will make it impossible to file the 1099-MISC electronically. You would still be able to file the paper copy, though. 

Note that generally payments to a corporation (including a limited liability company (LLC) that is treated as a C or S corporation) are not required to be reported on a 1099-MISC. So if the gym is a C or S corporation, you do not have to file a 1099-MISC for them.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Are you asking if you need an EIN for yourself or for the gym (to whom I assume you may be sending the 1099-MISC to report the rent)?

Generally, YOU need an EIN only IF you have employees in your business (which you probably don't).

To determine if you need an EIN for yourself, please see https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/do-you-need-an-ein

But if you are referring to filing a 1099-MISC to report the rent that you pay the gym, then not having the gym's EIN will make it impossible to file the 1099-MISC electronically. You would still be able to file the paper copy, though. 

Note that generally payments to a corporation (including a limited liability company (LLC) that is treated as a C or S corporation) are not required to be reported on a 1099-MISC. So if the gym is a C or S corporation, you do not have to file a 1099-MISC for them.

jsaenz58

Yeah i dont have enployees. So where would I include the amount I paid for rent? Yeah the gym isn't a c or s corporation
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies