Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to report a joint owners' house purchase with my adult son?

My son and I purchased a home and both our names are on the mortgage.  However, I do not live in the house or pay any mortgage, property tax, or insurance payments.  My son is paying all the payments.  He paid the points at closing.  Am I obligated to report the 1098 on my tax return if I'm not taking the deduction or does my son just report the interest and points on his return?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

No, you are not obligated to report the Form 1098 as part of your tax return.  If your son is the one who paid the mortgage, then he should report it on his return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There's nothing for you to report on your 1040.  However, you might be considered a 1/2 owner of the property and if sold at a gain, 1/2 the gain would be taxed to you. Since you don't live there you would not be eligible for the home sale exclusion. however, there is a concept in the tax laws of equitable ownership.  He could be deemed the owner of 100% of the property. How this s concept works in your state is a matter to discuss with  real estate attorney. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies