Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

davidma

Do I have to mail all the stock transaction statements after e-filing if the summary of capital gains and losses are the exactly same as 1099-b?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Do I have to mail all the stock transaction statements after e-filing if the summary of capital gains and losses are the exactly same as 1099-b?

It depends on which sales sections were reported and if there were adjustments.  If you only entered a summary for Box A or Box D transactions and there were NO adjustments, you don't have to mail it.   But if you entered a summary for any other section (other than A or D) or you had adjustments in your Box A or Box D summary, you have to upload a PDF (only in TurboTax Online) or mail it in within 3 days.   TurboTax will print out Form 8453 with instructions if you are required to mail in your 1099-B.

See Mailing in 8949 with 8453 - the IRS needs the details of your or adjusted transactions from your 1099-B.

In lieu of Form 8949, you can substitute copies of your year-end broker statements that show the individual transactions. You don't need to include unadjusted Box A or Box D transactions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
davidma

Thanks for the help. Just to confirm, I am using the desktop premier version, so I can not just upload the pdf, instead I have to mail the paper statements, right? It will be about hundreds of pages, :(

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You will have to mail it.  You cannot attach files to TurboTax Desktop.  And if your 1099-B or list of transactions is hundreds of pages, you would probably have to mail it anyway, as the file would be too large to e-file.  It's an IRS limitation, not TurboTax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies