Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhellsing

Do I have to file taxes for Robinhood if I made less than $600? I’m not sure how to file Crypto currency and stocks that barely made any profit?

I’m fairly new to taxes and jumped onto Coinbase and Robinhood, my combined profit is well under $600 on each app. Do I have to file taxes if I barely made anything or had losses? I just want to make sure I’m not messing up and if I have to amend my return. I filed already but saw the email from Robinhood about 1099s late and haven’t gotten it yet after already filing my taxes and Coinbase has a loss of almost $2 and I only ever made $17 almost
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Do I have to file taxes for Robinhood if I made less than $600? I’m not sure how to file Crypto currency and stocks that barely made any profit?

Yes. You must report all your income. The $600 minimum is for the person required to issue a 1099, not for the taxpayer to report income. Even if you had losses, the only way to show the losses is to include the income and basis.

It’s your responsibility to keep records of your transactions. The most common way to do this is to download your order or trading history from your exchange’s website. You may need to do this a few times throughout the year due to limits on how far back you can get information.

Once you have your figures:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax Online
  2. Select Federal, and Wages & Income
  3. Scroll down and select Show more next to Investment Income (or Investments and Savings)
  4. Select Start or Revisit next to Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other (1099-B)
  5. Follow the instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale

Also, if you received the cryptocurrency apart from investing, please see the following.

It depends on whether your cryptocurrency was considered earned income or treated as a property sale. To help you determine which of these two possibilities applies to your situation, read through the following scenarios:

Cryptocurrency received as payment for goods and services

Cryptocurrency sold, exchanged, spent or converted

Cryptocurrency received as income, and then held and sold for profit

Cryptocurrency received as a gift

New cryptocurrency received from an airdrop

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies