turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roland11214
Returning Member

Do I have to claim income if letting kids cover mortgage that is below fair market value (no profit) after moving out of state? Total amount is below gift limit of 18k.

No lease or rental agreement. No new home purchase. Home is our family home that we will go back to.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Do I have to claim income if letting kids cover mortgage that is below fair market value (no profit) after moving out of state? Total amount is below gift limit of 18k.

Yes. a 'not for profit' rental is not allowed a negative amount to off set other income. However you must report any and all income.  Unfortunately, since the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) there is no deduction for the expenses.

The not-for-profit rental income is reported as follows and can be found in IRS Publication 527. (Page 25)

Where to report. 

Report your not-for-profit rental income on Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 8. If you itemize your deductions, include your mortgage interest and mortgage insurance premiums (if you use the property as your main home or second home), real estate taxes, and casualty losses from your not-for-profit rental activity when figuring the amount you can deduct on Schedule A.

Sign into your TurboTax account:

1. Click Federal in the left column 
  2. Click Wages & Income at the top
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income. Click Show more
  4. Start Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  5. Start Other reportable income
  6. Say Yes to Any Other Taxable Income?
  7. Enter a description and amount
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Roland11214
Returning Member

So the fact that they are relatives (children) in in a family home doesn't make a difference?  Couldn't it be considered a  cash gift  since I'm physically paying the mortgage?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, it's possible it could be a gift to family.  In 2023, the annual gift tax limit was $17,000. For married couples, the combined 2023 limit was $34,000.  This means each spouse (if applicable) can give $17,000 per person.

You should seek advice from someone knowledgeable about gifts and gift tax return requirements to be sure you have not gone over the gift limits.

Roland11214
Returning Member

Can you edit out the @ on your reply. I changed my screen name after the first post when I realized my last name was in it. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Absolutely.  I have removed the information in the last post as requested.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies