Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tatem32822
Returning Member

I rented my house for one month in Dec, 2018. can I deduct full utility bills (water, electric, HOA fees, TV) for that same month?

Since I did NOT advertise this property for rent, is it considered a rental property?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I rented my house for one month in Dec, 2018. can I deduct full utility bills (water, electric, HOA fees, TV) for that same month?

Yes, you can deduct the utilities for the month it was rented. 

It is considered rental property if you received a FMV rent for the property.  It does not need to be advertised to be a rental.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Did you rent it at a FMV or was the rent you charged less than what would normally be paid.  Sometimes people rent at less than FMV to help out a friend.
tatem32822
Returning Member

Rented at FMV
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can deduct the utilities for the month it was rented. 

It is considered rental property if you received a FMV rent for the property.  It does not need to be advertised to be a rental.

tatem32822
Returning Member

TurboTax appear to divide my monthly utility expense by 12.  I didn’t expect that???
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, it does some of the work for you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies