Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did I find a bug or make a mistake in 2022 using online TT on form 8960 ?

I have 1099-NEC income reported on Schedule C.  The net income after expenses on line 31 of Schedule C somehow ended up on Form 8960 line 4a and 4b (b as negative value).  This results in 4c being 0 and no impact on taxes, but the self employment income does not belong on 8960, and was never put there in prior years by TT online.  The only reason I noticed was IRS seems to have mistakenly ignored 4a, only used 4b to compute my tax and they lowered my income and tax, send me an unexpected refund.  So there seems to be a bug in both TT online AND IRS consuming the bad data from TT electronic submission.   Please confirm, 
1) Am I correct that self employment income does not belong on 4a, 4b in 8960 ?
2) Assuming so is this a bug others encountered ?
3) If I am wrong, then why didn't TT populate self employment income to 8960 4a, 4b in the past ?   
4) Assuming I am correct that there is a bug, how best to report to TT and make sure this is correct in future releases.  I already submitted my return incorrectly, but I feel the next result is OK with 2 offsetting errors, so my main concern is that this does not happen to others filing late nor to all of us next year !
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Meant to say "I already submitted my return incorrectly, but I feel the net result is OK with 2 offsetting errors"

Any recommendations on nature of the error and next steps ?

I have concluded that the IRS has a bug in their system.

The instructions changed from 2021 to 2022 returns for form 8960

Previously Schedule 1 line 5 was included on 8960 line 4a
Now Schedule 1 lines 3 and 5 are to be included on 8960 line 4a
TT seems to have followed these new instructions, but the IRS ignored the data in 4a submitted,
causing them to reduce my income and my taxes due.  Lucky me and anyone else with 1099 NEC income
reported on Schedule C / Schedule 1 line 3

Thanks to anyone reading and to the folks on customer support at Intuit !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies