Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Depreciation for rental property on trust fiduciary return

Hi, I inherited a rental home from my father's living trust and am also the successor trustee and executor.

What I understand:

- All income, expense, and depreciation before the date of death (July) is accounted for on my father's personal return under this TIN.

- All income, expense, and depreciation after the date I took ownership of the property (October) is accounted for on my personal return under my TIN.  The stepped up cost basis for the property is the date of death FMV determine by appraisal.

- All income, expense, and depreciation between July and October is to be accounted for on a fiduciary return I will file for the trust under its own TIN.  All income and costs will be distributed to me.

Questions regarding depreciation:

- Should the fiduciary return claim depreciation?

- If so, does the fiduciary return use the stepped up basis for depreciation?  Or continue the depreciation that was used previously for the trust under my father's personal return?

Any info will help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Depreciation for rental property on trust fiduciary return

The rules vary depending (see link below) but, generally, the depreciation deduction follows the income (e.g., if all of the rental income is allocated to the beneficiary, then so is the entire depreciation deduction).

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#idm140630132225648

The new, stepped up, basis is used for the purposes of calculating depreciation going forward.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies