turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NZ11

Depreciation Calculation for property placed in service mid-year

Hello,

I am amending my 2022 return to include rental property depreciation that was excluded in error in my original filing.

This was a personal-use condo made available as a rental on July 1, 2022. The property's FMV at time of rental ($278,062) was less than the original cost basis and so was used as the adjustable basis. Based on my state's revenue office guidance, 70% of the condo's FMV is allocated to improvements while 30% is allocated to land. The resulting depreciable basis is $194,643 which is what TurboTax also calculates.

The issue I have begins here. Off of this depreciable basis of $194,643, TurboTax calculates the final rental expense depreciation deduction as $1,622. This is 0.833% of the depreciable basis. According to IRS Pub 527, for a residential rental property using GDS and a 27.5 recovery period, which was placed in service in July of Year 1 of service, the depreciation percentage is 1.667%, which is double the calculated expense deduction in TurboTax. The TurboTax calculation appears to be further halving the percentage and deduction that is allowable for half the year per Pub 527. 

For those who have experience with the system's calculations of depreciation for rental properties, do you have any thoughts? Am I missing a step in how I would expect the system to calculate the deduction? I appreciate the community's guidance. If I'm not posting in the right place, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Depreciation Calculation for property placed in service mid-year

Did you enter 100% business use after you placed it into service on 7/1/2022?

If you didn't report 100% business use, the depreciation would have been reduced.

Also, did you report this as property converted to personal use in 2022? How many rental days did you report? The number of rental days might influence the allocation of expenses in the year of conversion.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies