Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Depletion on Oil Royalties? I'm receiving royalty income for the first time. Can I charge 15% Depletion as an expense?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Depletion on Oil Royalties? I'm receiving royalty income for the first time. Can I charge 15% Depletion as an expense?

it's a little more complicated.

working interest and royalty interest owners can claim the greater of cost depletion (IRC SEC 612) or percentage depletion (IRC SEC 613A)

cost depletion = unrecovered depletable costs divided by estimated recoverable reserves in units at the beginning of the year or acquistion (usually from and engineering report) times units sold (for cash basis taxpayer - amount received during year) 

percentage depletion rules 

1) a % of gross receipts that does not includebonuses, advance royalties or other amounts received without regard to actual production

2) rate is generally 15%

3) who qualifies - independent producers (generally working interest owners who are not retailers or refiners) with <1,000barrels of daily production. Royalty owners are also eligible

4) % depletion is limited to net income from each property before depletion

5) a taxpayer's total % depletion deduction from oil and gas properties cannot exceed 65% of taxable income computed before % depletion, any NOL or capital loss carrybacks and the  199A deduction 

also see iRS PUB 5652

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies