Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thepep
Returning Member

Crypto reporting question when used to purchase a service

So I purchase 300 UNCL tokens at xyz cost.  I then use these tokens (sell?) a couple minutes later on a staking platform to obtain a percent "Boost" in my earnings of another token on the staking platform.  I guess this could be considered that I purchased a "service"?  The 300 UNCL are then burned or permanently removed from the blockchain by the staking platform in exchange for the "Boost".  Is this considered a taxable/reportable event?  I have a cost basis when I purchased the UNCL but when I used them for the "Boost", is that considered a sale with an associated capital gain/loss situation?  If so, it'd basically be a wash as I performed each task concurrently.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Crypto reporting question when used to purchase a service

It may be a taxable event but it sounds like the end result is $0 taxable gain.

Your Crypto Tax Guide states:

If you buy, sell or exchange crypto in a non-retirement account, you'll face capital gains or losses.

As an example, you purchase 300 units of A for $1 each equals $300 cost basis in the property.  The staking platform gives you credit for the $300 with no gain or loss.

You now have X units of B with a cost basis of $300.

If the staking platform had given you credit for $350 and your cost basis in the property was $300, you would report a $50 gain.

@thepep 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies