Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CRP addressing dependents listed on lease

I have a renter that has lived at my property since her son was a minor listed as a child on her lease. he is now 23 and she wants me to send her a amended CRP in his name? He wasn't on any of the checks posting payments until 4/05/23.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

What state are you in? Don't know if that would matter or not. But for anyone not on the lease I would expect you don't have to send them anything. If anything, wait for a more definitive response from another forum user more familiar with your situation and state laws on this.

Now I'm in FL where I don't have to deal with state taxes and other things such as a "renters credit". So I'm not all that familiar with said CRP forms. However, when it comes to age, I have had situations where a minor of a lease signatory comes "of age" and remains living at home. When that happens, upon lease renewal after their 18th birthday I require the former-minor-now-adult, to sign the lease too. If anything, it's a step to help them start establishing credit.

He wasn't on any of the checks posting payments until 4/05/23.

I would think if he's not obligated (per the lease) to pay the rent, that would not matter. But maybe it's no problem for you to send the lessee a CRP based on what they paid with checks they signed, and another CRP to the minor-now-adult for the rent they paid with checks they signed.

As Carl asked, what State is this?  The rules vary by state.

For example, in my state the landlord needs to divide the rent equally between each adult renter and send them each a CRP.  That is done even if they are a dependent, or not on the lease, or if the other adults actually pay the rent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies