Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Skdji

Cost basis statement error

A public company I had shares in got bought out last year. In addition to the cash, I got a CVR for each share. In Charles Schwab's "Relaised Gain/loss " statement, the whole transaction is being treated as gain without substracting the original cost basis. The  cost basis was instead transferred to the CVRs. I have received CVRs on multiple occasions prviously but the cost basis for thse is supposed to be zero and most of the time and invariably these end up being worthless. I have contated Charles Schwab's Cost Base department but  I am getting bounced around without any resolution. I want them to substract my cost basis from the toal transaction to reflect the correct gain. Can I make these changes on my own in my tax return even if Charles Schwab's statement is inaccurate? I have all the documentation for the original cost basis.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Cost basis statement error

Schwab may issue a corrected 1099-B in the future once it gets info from the company. Every year from my broker I get corrected 1099-Bs as compnaies report basis adjustment to the brokers. One year I got 6 including one in November. Assuming you are correct as to allocatoion of cost basis you can correct this on the 8949 Here are the IRS instructions expanded. use code B incolumn f

• If this transaction is reported on a Part I with box B (tax basis not reported to the iRS) of the 1099-B
checked at the top or if this transaction is reported on a
Part II with box E (tax basis not reported to the iRS) on the 1099-B  checked at the top, enter the correct
basis in column (e), and enter -0- in column (g).
• If this transaction is reported on a Part I with box A (tax basis reported to IRS) on the 1099-B
checked at the top or if this transaction is reported on a
Part II with box D (tax basis reported to IRS) on the 1099-B checked at the top, enter the basis shown
on  Form 1099-B (or substitute statement) in column (e),
even though that basis is incorrect. Correct the error by
entering an adjustment in column (g).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies