Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cost basis for cash in lieu received through spin-off

I received cash in lieu after acquiring shares and selling the fractional shares through a spin-off. In the Turbotax interview, it wants me to enter the cost basis for the cash in lieu transaction. The way I understand to calculate the cost basis after reading through a bunch of threads but I wanted to confirm is to:

1. Find the closing prices of the original stock and the spin-off stock at the end of the first trading day after the spin-off.

2.  Find the FMV of the original stock and spin-off stock at that time by multiplying the respective prices with the shares held.

3. Take the FMV of the original stock and spin-off stock and calculate the percentage that the spin-off stock is worth relative to the combined value of the original stock and spin-off stock.

4. Multiply the portion of the spin-off stock's value by the cost basis of the original stock to get the cost basis of the spin-off stock.

5. Multiply the fractional share sold by the cost basis of the spin-off stock to get the cost basis of the cash in lieu.

So for example, I bought the 123 shares of the original stock at $100 and received 1 share of the spin-off stock for every 10 shares of the original stock that I held. On the first day of the spin-off trading, the original stock was worth $200 and the spin-off stock was worth $75:

FMV of the original stock = 123 * $200 = $24600

FMV of the spin-off stock = 12.3 * $75 = $922.50

% value of the spin-off stock  = $922.50/($24600+$922.50) = 0.0361

Cost basis of spin-off stock = 0.036*$100 = $3.61

Cost basis of fractional share = $3.61*0.3 = $1.08

Is this correct or did I miss something? Also if I sell shares in the future of the original stock or spin-off, do I have to adjust the cost basis like this as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

$50 s/b $75 

spin-off stock was worth $75

FMV of the spin-off stock = 12.3 * $50 = $922.50

or just enter $0 for the cost.

was this a private company or publicly owned stock?  so the sale of frac. share was reported on 1099-B.  if you got a 1099-B you'll have to look at future statements to see if the cost basis of both the original and spinoff have been adjusted to what you calculated. might take a month or two for the broker's statements to reflect that adjusted tax basis.

@Mike9241 this is publicly owned stock so the sale of the fractional share was reported on 1099-B. Thanks for the tip. I do see now they ended up adjusting the cost basis of the original stock whereas the spin-off stock took the value of what the spin-off stock traded at the first day of trading after the spin-off. Not sure how they calculated it, but the total cost basis of the original and spin-off stock doesn't match how much the original stock was purchased for.

Same here. Cost basis does not match just like yours.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies