Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kencpu

Condo rental property - we are paying $1000.00 a year assessment for a future road improvement. It started in 2017. Need assistance on where to claim.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Condo rental property - we are paying $1000.00 a year assessment for a future road improvement. It started in 2017. Need assistance on where to claim.

Special assessments are generally entered as assets and depreciated, but you could elect to take this as a miscellaneous rental expense, because  the cost is under $2500. See the FAQ below, under For 2017, items $2500 or less. The FAQ refers to Business Expenses, but the information is the same for rentals.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4682171

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kencpu

Since we will pay $1000 ea/yr for a total of 5 years I would prefer to claim the full amount each year rather than depreciating.  I was originally thinking since it was going to the association, just as our $250 a month association fee is, that I could add it to the total association fee (i.e., $4000 in lieu of $3000).  But, it seems like that wouldn't be proper?
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

If you read my answer, you can elect to deduct the $1000 all in one year.
kencpu

Yes I did read the answer, thank you.  It was simply a matter of where to input the amount - all set now though.
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You're welcome. Yes, you would have to categorize the expense correctly, but you'd still be able to deduct the amount you pay each year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies