Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Combine guest house and main house if different years in service?

I have an attached guest house that has been on Airbnb (average stay is 3 months) for many years and I file schedule E. Utilities are single meter/internet modem and I have been using splitting based on the sq ft percentages (27:73). This year I moved out of the main house (moved out of state) and made it an Airbnb rental as well (again, average stay is 3 months). 

I would like to, moving forward, treat is all as one property. The splitting isn't a perfect science anyway as there are many shared maintenance expenses and utilities e.g  shared backyard,  frontyard, laundry, driveway, walls and the roof.  And its a PITA. I also received a single 1099 from Airbnb for 2021.

Treating it as 1 property moving forward: where I am confused is when Turbotax asks me, is this the first year in service? Date of service for the house was 25 June 2021 but I had to live in the house Sept-mid dec renovating it (it was rented 25 july - till I moved back in as the renovation ran over). The date of service for the guest house was 1 Jan 2016.

If I select yes, that's incorrect because for the guest house its not. If I select no, that's incorrect too as its the first year in service for the house.

What's the best way to handle this? I would really like to treat it as a single property. Again, same address, attached, many shared common areas, just different dates in service.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Combine guest house and main house if different years in service?

You are not able to treat the main house and the guest house as a single property. Depreciation for the guest house began in January 2016, and depreciation for the main house started in June of 2021. The depreciation cannot be combined and each property will need to be treated separately.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies