Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

knownoise
Returning Member

Casualty Loss, Involuntary Conversion and 1031 Exchange

I have a rental property that was destroyed by fire. I have some questions regarding casualty loss, the insurance payout tax treatment and its impact on 1031 exchange:

1.  I understand that if I take the insurance payout and don't rebuild, the payout is taxable unless I replace the property within a certain period of time.

Is the whole payout amount taxable or just the gain (payout - adjusted building tax basis + carried over unallowed loss)?

Is the gain treated as capital gain or ordinary income?

Is there depreciation recapture?

If my marginal tax bracket is 10%, is the recapture rate 10% or still 25%?

Is personal property loss payment part of the equation?

Is fair rent loss payment part of the equation?

Does the replacement time window end 2 years after the end of the year I take the first payment? If I take payment in 2024, I have until December 2026 to replace the property to avoid tax?

I read somewhere the time window was changed to 3 years by the JOBS Act. Is it true?

What kind of replacement property can I buy? I understand it doesn't have the same rules as the 1031 exchange like kind exchange. The destroyed property is a single family rental property. Do I have to buy another single family rental? Can I buy multiple less expensive ones? Can I buy a business?

What do I need to do when filing taxes next year to opt into this? I will not buy the replacement in the same year the payout happened.

2. If the insurance payout is less than the cost to rebuild number provided by the adjuster, can I claim casualty loss when filing taxes next year?

3. If I sell the land and the building as-is later, is the land and as-is building sale part of the involuntary conversion or not? It is caused by the destruction of the building. If it can be considered part of the involuntary conversion, I have more time to find a replacement than the 1031 exchange.

If it is not part of the involuntary conversion sale, the gain of the land portion will be land sale - adjusted land tax basis?

If in #1, the whole amount is taxable, then the building tax basis also gets subtracted here and depreciation recapture happens here?

4. If the land and as-is building sale is not part of the involuntary conversion and I do 1031 exchange, do I only have to invest the gain from the land sale to avoid capital gain tax on this sale?

5. If the total gain is less than the gain I would have gotten if the fire didn't happen, can I claim a casualty loss when filing taxes next year?

6. I have a mortgage on the property. If I pay off the mortgage with the insurance payout and do a 1031 exchange with no new mortgage, I think under normal 1031 exchange rules, the old mortgage amount is considered boot and I have to pay tax on it. But in this case, do I have a boot?

7. Any suggestions on the best approach to take in this scenario to avoid a big tax hit?

Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies