Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Gains

I sold a business in 2022, that was my primary source of income. I am 60 years old and may never work again. As a result, I have a stock portfolio that I need to rebalance to generate income. A large part of the portfolio is currently comprised of growth stocks that don’t pay dividends. I file as married filing jointly and our  taxable income for 2023, will be less than the threshold of $83,350. To my understanding, this means that I will not have to pay capital gains if I was to sell my stock portfolio before year end. It doesn’t seem like there is a cap on this?There is an unrealized capital gain of $700K in my portfolio and I would like to sell all of these assets it if that means  I could avoid incurring a taxable event on the Federal level in 2023.  We are mainly living off from the proceeds from the sale of the business which are considered 1231 gains which I understand are considered capital gains and are not included in the taxable income threshold calculation. Are my assumptions correct about unlimited capital gains and 1231 gains?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Capital Gains

The gains are, in fact, included in the taxable income calculation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Capital Gains

The gains are, in fact, included in the taxable income calculation.

TomD8
Level 15

Capital Gains

In case you want to estimate your possible tax bite, there are numerous capital gains tax calculators available online.  Here's one example (uses 2023 rates):

https://casaplorer.com/capital-gains-tax-calculator

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Capital Gains

@pkcrossley, are you sure those gains are 100% section 1231 capital gain or perhaps subject to section 1245 recapture.

Section 1231 and 1245 are categories of business assets defined in the Internal Revenue Code. All property used in a trade or business is considered section 1231 property and, for taxation purposes, either section 1245 applies, depending on the property’s characteristics.  Here is a brief summary of each category:

Section 1231 Property: This category applies to property (tangible personal property like furniture, fixture, machinery, computers, and equipment)  that is used in a trade or business, subject to depreciation rules, and held for more than a year. When section 1231 property is sold at a gain, the amount in excess of the property’s basis and depreciation receives capital gains treatment, which generally means lower tax rates, while the amount attributed to depreciation recapture is treated as ordinary income. When section 1231 property is sold at a loss, the loss is treated as an ordinary loss and may be deducted in full against ordinary income.

Section 1245 Property: This category includes tangible and intangible assets on which a depreciation or amortization deduction has been allowed. Examples of Section 1245 property include furniture, business equipment, light fixtures, and carpeting. When section 1245 property is sold at a gain, amounts previously claimed as depreciation (allowed or allowable) are recaptured at ordinary income tax rates, and the remaining gain is taxed as 1231 capital gains.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies