Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I remove capital loss carryover. The carryover was already used in 2022, but I see it's duplicated on my 2023 tax return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Can I remove capital loss carryover. The carryover was already used in 2022, but I see it's duplicated on my 2023 tax return.

Type 'capital loss carryover' in the Search area, then 'Jump to capital loss carryover'.

You will come to a screen titled 'Did you have investment losses you couldn't claim in 2022'.  

Choose YES, then on the next screen, you have a choice to choose YES, I know my Capital Loss Carryover amounts, or NO, I need help calculating my Capital Loss Carryover. 

YES, gives a screen with ST Cap Loss/LT Cap Loss amounts that may have carried over from 2022, which you could delete.

NO will get a screen titled 'Let's get some info from your 2022 return', where  you can then enter, edit or delete amounts from your 2022 return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

are you sure you really used it in 2022. if captal losses pushes your 2022 agi into negative territory, that negative amount is not used and becomes a carryforward for next year

Yes, I pulled out my 2022 tax documents and saw it was already used. 2021 shows the $3000 max amount used and 2022 shows the carryover. For some reason TurboTax is bringing it forward again for 2023, same amount. I qualify for free filing, but in order to edit the carry forward, I have to upgrade.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies