turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tlcurtis2

Can I net my rental losses for all properties & apply to the gain on sale of 1? I have 3 rentals with losses being carried forward. I sold 1 this year at a gain.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I net my rental losses for all properties & apply to the gain on sale of 1? I have 3 rentals with losses being carried forward. I sold 1 this year at a gain.

"Can I net my rental losses for all properties & apply to the gain on sale of 1?"

Not really, because your rental losses are considered passive losses which can only be directly offset by passive income. The sale of your one rental property produced capital gain as well as, most likely, unrecaptured Section 1250 gain (depreciation recapture). 

Note that there is a special allowance, that can be deducted from nonpassive income, of up to $25,000 (subject to phaseout) of loss from a passive rental real estate activity if you actively participated in the rental activity.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p925#en_US_2018_publink1000104571

View solution in original post

1 Reply

"Can I net my rental losses for all properties & apply to the gain on sale of 1?"

Not really, because your rental losses are considered passive losses which can only be directly offset by passive income. The sale of your one rental property produced capital gain as well as, most likely, unrecaptured Section 1250 gain (depreciation recapture). 

Note that there is a special allowance, that can be deducted from nonpassive income, of up to $25,000 (subject to phaseout) of loss from a passive rental real estate activity if you actively participated in the rental activity.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p925#en_US_2018_publink1000104571

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies