Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct capital improvements to a rental property that didn't actually get a renter until the second week of January?

I inherited my parents' house in January of last year and after months of clearing out their belongings and renovating just about anything, I contracted with a Management company in August to screen and place a renter.  A couple of options fell through until a family moved in on January 13.  Since I didn't actually have any income from the house in 2022, does that mean I can't claim any of the expenses on the property until next year?  I'm very confused.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Can I deduct capital improvements to a rental property that didn't actually get a renter until the second week of January?

The cost of capital improvements cannot be deducted as a rental expense. It has to be added to the cost basis of the rental home to be depreciated over 27.5 years.

Also the cost of preparing the home for rental cannot be counted as a rental expense.

Depreciation and rental expenses can be deducted from the date the property is placed on the rental market. So in your case, you can deduct depreciation and rental expenses if any from August, which the date the prperty was placed on the rental market.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

The cost of capital improvements cannot be deducted as a rental expense. It has to be added to the cost basis of the rental home to be depreciated over 27.5 years.

Also the cost of preparing the home for rental cannot be counted as a rental expense.

Depreciation and rental expenses can be deducted from the date the property is placed on the rental market. So in your case, you can deduct depreciation and rental expenses if any from August, which the date the prperty was placed on the rental market.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Capital improvements on rental property can not be deducted. They have to be capitalized and depreciated over time. Enter your improvement costs in the Assets/Depreciation section and depreciation starts on the date the property was available for rent, or the date the improvement was available - whichever is later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies