Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

calculating adjusted cost basis requires value of shares sold to be greater than zero

I have a 1099-B. I have RSU's that "sold to cover" over 13 different vesting dates and I held onto the remainder for over a year. After a year I sold the cumulative of all 13 grants in 1 transaction. Cost basis wasn't provided on the 1099-B so I used the assistant interview. I entered  the total shares, the sold date and then added each group of shares with their respective  vesting date and market price on the vesting date, as well as the amount you paid in commissions if there was any. My problem is it won't accept zero for the shares sold to cover taxes as those sold to cover were in a previous tax year. I was told I could enter .001 for shares sold to cover for each group but that doesn't sound right. I'm questioning if I'm doing it right. How can I get around this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

calculating adjusted cost basis requires value of shares sold to be greater than zero

You can get around it by entering a single transaction without going through the employer stock questions and entries.  When asked if your sale involved employer stock, answer no.  There is no additional reported required because your shares were acquired from RSUs.  Your cost basis for your RSUs is the same amount (per share) that was added to your income and reported on your W-2.  Calculate your cost basis and enter a single transaction.  For acquisition/purchase date use "Various".   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the response, unfortunately, I cannot determine the RSU on my W2. They add in everything into box 1 and don't reference or itemize it in box 14 or any other box. 
Would I be able to take the cost basis that it calculated and delete the individual entries and when it asks "if I know my cost basis" select yes and enter that calculated amount instead? 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can do as you suggest. As long as you enter the correct cost basis, sale amount and the correct acquisition and sale dates you will be in compliance. Assuming you paid nothing for the stock shares, the cost basis of each share would be the fair market value of the stock on the day they vested plus any additional amounts you paid for commissions or the like. Multiply that by the number of shares sold and you will have your cost basis to report for the sale.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies