Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Business Went Busted, Crypto Dropped, Recover My Cost!

Hi all, hope all is well.  I have a few questions while using turbotax, please.
1- I invest cash into my friends power washing business and soon after he passed. I lost my money. How so I show that loss?

2-I invested in crypto and the last time I checked, my money was at half the the value. Is that a loss or do I need to wait until I sell?

3- I remolded a house and rented it, I haven't broken even yet.  Do I have to show the income even though I haven't paid back what I owe?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Carl
Level 15

1- I invest cash into my friends power washing business and soon after he passed. I lost my money. How so I show that loss?

That's an investment loss. Deal with that in the Investments section.

2-I invested in crypto and the last time I checked, my money was at half the the value. Is that a loss or do I need to wait until I sell?

That's another one dealt with in the investments section. You've nothing to report until you sell.

3- I remolded a house and rented it, I haven't broken even yet. Do I have to show the income even though I haven't paid back what I owe?

Rental property is reported on SCH E. When it comes to taxes, chances are you'll never ever "break even". All rental income and expenses are reported on SCH E. More than likely your remodel is a property improvement that adds to the cost basis. Property improvements are not deducted per-se. It adds to the cost basis of the property. Your improvements get added as another asset in the assets/depreciation section and depreciated over time. For rental property the cost gets depreciated over 27.5 years.

It "sounds" like this is your first time being a landlord. I can not stress the importance of absolute perfection in that first year when dealing with rental property. Even the tiniest of mistakes can (and will) grow exponentially over time. Then when you catch your mistake years down the road, usually the year you sell the property, the cost of fixing it can (and usually will) be expensive. Double that if your state also taxes personal income.

I highly suggest you read and familiarize yourself with IRS Publication 527 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf. Especially Chapter 2.

@TaxLu wrote:

It depends on what you mean by "invest".  Did you give him a loan?  Did you become a Partner in the business?  Did you purchase stock shares of his business?  Something else?

It was a loan and I didn't recover anything back. Thank you

It sounds like a non-business bad debt. 

It will show up as a short-term capital loss on the tax return (Form 8949 and Schedule D).  However, I'm unsure of the exact method for how TurboTax asks you to enter it.

did you file a claim against his estate? 

@AmeliesUncle wrote:

However, I'm unsure of the exact method for how TurboTax asks you to enter it.

In the Other Deductions and Credits section.

Untitled.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies