Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bought 2nd home in 6/23, rented 1st home 7/23; both financed by same lender, 1st home refi'd in 11/20. Put 7/23 loan in deductions but get "Refi must be entered error".

I put the 11/20 refi loan details in the Rental expenses section as an amortized intangible and even though it was part year deductible, entered the 1098 from lender for this loan in the expenses section for TT to pro-rate the number and count towards deduction as mortgage interest.

I have only the 7/23 loan from same lender in the Deductions / Mortgage Interest section and there's no refinance on this. After entering details here and across all other sections on doing SmartCheck, I get a "Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet (lender name): Refi must be entered." with options for "No Entry, Refinance Yes, Refinance No".
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Bought 2nd home in 6/23, rented 1st home 7/23; both financed by same lender, 1st home refi'd in 11/20. Put 7/23 loan in deductions but get "Refi must be entered error".

If the loan wasn't refinanced, check the box for "No" when the SmartCheck message appears. TurboTax needs an answer to the refi question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies