Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gzip
Returning Member

Are rental and held-for-sale real property expenses deductible?

I inherited a few foreign properties. One is formally rented (there is a pro-forma lease, but I do not receive income) to my mother. The others are held for sale after unsuccessful rental attempts. Are maintenance expenses, deductible?
If so, what kind of documentation I need to keep?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

The expenses for the property with a tenant are deductible.  If the other properties are not rented and you are not trying to rent them then the expenses related to those properties are not deductible.  If they are in-service, even if they are not rented, then the expenses are deductible.

For documentation, you need receipts and proof of payment for any expense greater than $75.  Credit card statements alone are not adequate documentation; however and credit card charge along with an invoice is adequate.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

The expenses for the property with a tenant are deductible.  If the other properties are not rented and you are not trying to rent them then the expenses related to those properties are not deductible.  If they are in-service, even if they are not rented, then the expenses are deductible.

For documentation, you need receipts and proof of payment for any expense greater than $75.  Credit card statements alone are not adequate documentation; however and credit card charge along with an invoice is adequate.

gzip
Returning Member

Could you please clarify what in-service means? Does it require the properties to be for rent and not for sale? For example, one of the properties is a plot of land that must be cleared yearly because of fire hazard regulation, which costs a few hundred dollars. Are those expenses deductible?
DDollar
Expert Alumni

In service means you have made it available for rent.  For example put a sign in the yard, run an add, listed it with a realtor, etc.  It does not have to have a tenant to be "in service".  Based on the limited information, I would say no, the clearing for the land is not tax deductible.
gzip
Returning Member

Thanks. The plot of land was indeed not "in-service."
Regarding the apartment that was rented (with a lease):
a) can you confirm that the fact that I did nor receive monetary compensation would not be a problem for the deduction of the corresponding expenses including condo maintenance fees?
b) where would the corresponding deductions be entered in TurboTax?
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You do not need to receive money to take rental expenses.   Please post b) as a separate question in Answer Xchange
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies