Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Allocation of mortgage payments on loan used to purchase multiple properties

I used some of the money from a refinance of the mortgage on rental property A to buy rental property B. So based on the tracing rules I need to allocate the mortgage interest between rental property A and rental property B. How should I allocate the principal payments as the mortgage is repaid (to rental property A which the loan is secured to or to rental property B)? I a section in 26 CFR Ch 1 titled "Supplemental ordering rules" which indicates that the order of repayment (when both debts are in the same class in this case rental real estate) is based on the order that the debts were allocated (which in this case would be rental property A since that debt was incurred first) - does this make sense?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, as long as you are consistent and can document how you applied the payments, whatever allocation system you choose is acceptable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JosephS1
Expert Alumni

If the mortgage was secured from the equity in rental property A then yes the proper treatment would be to allocate it to property A.  As you are required to list the addresses of rental properties, and as the address that secures the mortgage is most likely listed in Box 8 of your 1098, this would be the least complicated way of taking the mortgage interest deduction.  

If you wish to allocate it property B, or to both of the properties, which is not unreasonable, since the mortgage proceeds were used to purchase property B, you need to do it in a rational and reasonable method.

The best methodology to determine the proper allocation would be the current market value of the properties.  You would know the value of property A based on the documentation you had to submit for the mortgage.  You would know the market value property B since it is a recent purchase.

Once you choose a method, you must maintain the same method.  You cannot change the allocation year by year for what would yield the best tax savings.  

IRS tips on rental real estate

Rental real estate and taxes per TurboTax

@Dave918 

I have been allocating the repayments to whatever debt is smaller (property B in this case) so I can simplify things sooner by paying off the debt on B sooner so that I would only have debt left on A which is simpler. Splitting the debt between A and B is more complex so I have avoided that. Would this be acceptable to the IRS? Thank you

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, as long as you are consistent and can document how you applied the payments, whatever allocation system you choose is acceptable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies