Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cmo3
Level 2

AirBNB Rental Income with Land Contract Home

I've searched and searched until I've gone crosseyed, and cannot seem to get a clear answer on this.

I currently run a full-time AirBNB on a home that I do not technically own. The home is under a land contract/land purchase agreement/lease to buy contract, so there is no actual mortgage, no actual mortgage interest, etc.

What expenses can I deduct, and how should I deduct them. I don't believe that I can use the Schedule E and depreciate the home that way. Can I claim the entire monthly payment, as it is ordinary and necessary for me to conduct my AirBNB business?

I am having issues finding the answer this particular situation.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

You need to check the laws in the state in which the property is located. In some states, title actually passes when a land contract is executed.

If that is the case, you would report on Schedule E.

Cmo3
Level 2

The title remains in the name of the owner/seller until the end of the listed time frame. Property taxes are still in their name as well.

Do you provide services to your renters (e.g., meals, daily maid services, et al)? 

If not then report on Schedule E.

Cmo3
Level 2

Yes I do. It is one of my primary sources of income, which I spend a majority of my time on. I manage it, and other properties, full-time.

If that is the case (providing significant services to renters) then you should report on Schedule C.

Cmo3
Level 2

I have TurboTax Home & Business; what sections would be the best to list the lease/land contract payments?

I started down the Schedule E route, but after reading, I thought I would ask for advice here (THANK YOU!), so I will delete that portion of the return.

Rent or lease (Line 20) or, alternatively, you could use Other expenses (Line 27).

Cmo3
Level 2

Great! Thank you for all of your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies