Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cody1

After transferring a rental property into an LLC (single member) via a Quit-Claim deed, is it reported in the "Rental Properties" section or as an LLC "business asset"?

I transferred one of my rental properties into an LLC using a Quitclaim Deed mid-year. Do I continue to record all rental-property-related income and expenses the same way that I did before the transfer (by inputting them under my rental properties in TurboTax Premier), or should I indicate the property has been "sold" under the rental property section in TurboTax Premier and begin inputting it as a business asset of the LLC? 

Likewise, now that the property has been officially transferred to the LLC, do I issue 1099-MISC from my personal SSN/Tax ID or the LLC's EIN?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

After transferring a rental property into an LLC (single member) via a Quit-Claim deed, is it reported in the "Rental Properties" section or as an LLC "business asset"?

If the LLC is not incorporated then the rental continues to be reported on the Sch E ... it is a disregarded entity so nothing changes. All you did was a legal name change which is not reported on an income tax return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Just a word of caution:  If the property has a mortgage on it, the bank may not allow the title change, and you may have triggered the entire amount of mortgage to be due.

If the LLC is not incorporated then the rental continues to be reported on the Sch E ... it is a disregarded entity so nothing changes. All you did was a legal name change which is not reported on an income tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies