turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

galmeida04
Returning Member

After divorce we split the rental property.Base depreciation changed to50% However, my now co-owner transfer his share to me.What will be the basis for depreciation now?

We purchase a rental property, then we got divorce and we split the cost of the property.  Therefore we became co-owners, the new base for depreciation was changed to 50% of the cost of the property minus land.  However, after a couple of years, my ex husband did not want the property so he transferred the underwater value property to me .  Should I change the basis for depreciation? if so do I change to the original price? and for accumulated depreciation should I add the amount depreciated by my husband when were co-owners

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

After divorce we split the rental property.Base depreciation changed to50% However, my now co-owner transfer his share to me.What will be the basis for depreciation now?

from IRS publication 17

Business property. If you hold the gift as

business property, your basis for figuring any

depreciation, depletion, or amortization deductions is the same as the donor's adjusted basis

galmeida04
Returning Member

What will be his adjusted basis? he use to report 50% of the property?
He transferred the property because at that time we owed more than what the property was worth.
Do we both have to report a gift?
what are the tax consequences?  do I have to pay taxes on the gift portion?

galmeida04
Returning Member

What will be his adjusted basis? he use to report 50% of the property?
He transferred the property because at that time we owed more than what the property was worth.
Do we both have to report a gift?
what are the tax consequences?  do I have to pay taxes on the gift portion?

Hal_Al
Level 15

You do not need to file a gift tax return.  He doesn't either, since the property was "under water".

Your cost basis is now the original total cost basis and your prior depreciation claimed is the  total of both what you and he claimed, in the past.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies