turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After converting a house from a rental to an installment sale, the mortgagee has paid off the loan with me. Does this lump sum go on the 4797?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

After converting a house from a rental to an installment sale, the mortgagee has paid off the loan with me. Does this lump sum go on the 4797?

Did you file a Form 6252 in prior years?

yes for the installments
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You would enter the payment on the Installment Sale Form 6252. That will carry it to the Form 4797. You have to conclude the installment.

turbotax asked me if this was the last payment, but then did not prompt the closing steps. Does the payoff amount go on line 21, since the payoff is the last payment?

i.e., Do I add the payoff to the installments?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes. 21 Payments received during year. There is no formal closure. The fact that it is paid off and there will be no more Forms 6252 does that.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies