Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Imanidiot

accidental deletions of data

Dear TurboTax, 

Please fix your program so that it is impossible to delete something unintentionally.   A second dialog box should pop up and ask you if you really want to delete things.  I've been using this for 20 years and I made a fatal mistake on one of my rentals and lost the depreciation carryovers .  I'm going to try to my best to manually fix it from here on out by manually entering the same number for depreciation that I have had for the last 3 years but am afraid that is not going to help me.  I don't understand how you can simply delete a property without saying how you got rid of it  ie. sale, gift, catastrophe, etc.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If it is a lot of work to recreate then the easiest solution is to delete your whole tax return and start over.  I'm not saying that's fun or anything, but the depreciation data will roll back over and be there when you start.  

Good luck.

@Imanidiot 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Imanidiot

I was afraid to delete the entire return as someone implied on this topic that you might lose the entire 2023 TT program and it would be a hassle to get it replaced or re-sent.  Fortunately,  I had just come back into TT to pick up where I had left off (rental income) a few minutes earlier.  So, I held my breath and crossed my fingers and hoped I would not lose everything when it asked me if I wanted to save my work and I said no.  I thought it should return to the state that it was in just when I had closed and saved my work that had been done on the previous day but wasn't sure.    I was afraid I'd have to start over so I was really happy that all of the work entered heretofore including the depreciation I had carried over 19 years was not lost when I did that!  

DawnC
Expert Alumni

I think there may be some confusion between how TurboTax Online and TurboTax Desktop works.   The online version saves everything as you go, whereas the desktop program is not the same.   In either version, though, you can start over and as long as you have your prior year tax file, you won't lose your depreciation history.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies