turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-S Rented portion (room) of property

I am selling my condo after living in it continuously as my primary residence for 29 months. I rented out one of the bedrooms and reported the rental income on Schedule E. Do I still qualify for the capital gains exclusion, or will the portion of my property that was rented be subject to capital gains?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

when part of the home used for rental is within the same dwelling unit as the residential part of the home. you treat the entire home as a principal residence for the home sale exclusion rules. however, you must recognize gain (section 1250) to the extent of depreciation allowed or allowable (what you should have taken).  if you didn't take depreciation, see a pro to help resolve this tax issue.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies

when part of the home used for rental is within the same dwelling unit as the residential part of the home. you treat the entire home as a principal residence for the home sale exclusion rules. however, you must recognize gain (section 1250) to the extent of depreciation allowed or allowable (what you should have taken).  if you didn't take depreciation, see a pro to help resolve this tax issue.  

Carl
Level 15

Yes, you still qualify for the exclusion. However, you will still pay taxes on the recaptured depreciation no  matter what. The depreciation recapture is never excluded from the taxable gain that may be subject to taxation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies