Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stephs-mom
Returning Member

1099-R received no amount in 2a variable life insurance withdrawal

We received a 1099-R for a variable universal life insurance withdrawal. The amount of withdrawal is in box 1.  Box 2a life left blank and Taxable Amount Not Determined is checked.  Box 7 is 7D.  We withdrew $50,000 and we paid premiums to date with post tax funds of $63,500.    My understanding is that none of the amount is taxable as we did not withdraw more than our basis.  I am using Turbotax Premier.  When I enter the 1099-R it asks if "yes, the amount in 2a is the taxable amount" (2a was blank).  If I answer yes, it taxes the whole amount.  Or I can choose "no a different amount is taxable" and go to next step, it wants me to do the Simplified Method or General Rule to "figure out the taxable amount of this annuity."  It was a variable universal life insurance withdrawal.   Can I just put in a 0 at 2a? or is the IRS looking for another form?  Any help on how to proceed? I don't know why insurance company wouldn't put in a 0 if they knew how much we have already paid in premiums. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to the IRS, they stipulate that if your funds received were less than you paid in, this amount is not taxable. Put a zero in Box 2A and then when it asks if 0 is the taxable amount, say yes. This should alleviate the problem.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

just an FYI. the premiums you paid may not be your tax basis. contact the insurance company. 

When you receive money from a nonqualified variable annuity, only your net gain—the earnings on your investment—is taxable. The money you contributed to the annuity isn’t taxed because you made it with after-tax dollars. As a result, a portion of each payment you receive is treated as principal (that is, a return of your investment in the contract) for tax purposes.
How is this calculated? Essentially, the nontaxable portion of each payment is determined by the ratio of your investment in the contract to the account balance. More precisely, the tax-free and taxable portions of annuity payments are figured using a special computation explained in IRS Publication 575.

Stephs-mom
Returning Member

Thank you.  I will look into that publication.

Stephs-mom
Returning Member

That is what I thought.  I put "0" in 2a and then said yes this taxable amount and it let me continue and did not tax my withdrawal.  I just want to be sure that is the correct step to take.   Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies