Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-MISC for TWO Landlords

I own a rental house with my brother, and we each file our own Schedule E for 50% of the income and expenses with our respective tax returns.  Our Tenant had to have a few months of his rent paid by the California Covid-19 Rent Relief Program this past year, and they have now sent ME a 1099-MISC under my name and Social Security Number for the Rental income.

How do I report that on our Schedule E so that 1/2 of it is income for my brother, and 1/2 is income for me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You should choose to enter the full amounts for the property on your Schedule E and let TurboTax Home & Business use the Ownership Percentage method to calculate your correct Schedule E.  To do this:

1. Within your return use the magnifying glass to search Schedule E
  2. Click Jump to schedule E
  3. Answer the questions appropriately until you get to the We Can Automatically Divide Your Income and Expenses for You page
  4. Choose Yes, I will enter total amounts for...(property)
  5. Input your Ownership Percentage
  6. Continue answering the questions and complete the Rental Summary with the total costs for the property, including the 1099-MISC you received

Your Schedule E will then show your ownership percentage and apply that to the amounts.  Your brother should include his share of the 1099-MISC on his own return as well.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So, even though the 1099 was issued to MY SSN, the program (and the IRS) will realize it's for BOTH of us when TurboTax calculates the 50% income/expenses from the rental property on Schedule E when I just input 100% and say I own 50%??  If so, that sounds like the EASY way to do it!

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Yes, that is the best way!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies