turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-B Income (capital gain/loss)

I invested $1,800 into Robinhood in 2020, realized I am not very good at buying/selling stocks and brought that $1,800 initial investment down to $800 by 12/31/2020. When I transferred my Robinhood account to Turbotax it gave me a Gross Proceeds amount of $5,877... which is clearly not the case. Seems like it only shows the positive sales and not the ones where I lost money, nothing is in (). One of the companies where I saw a significant loss filed for Ch. 11 and I saw a almost 100% loss of my investment. 

From what I remember my loss was close to $5,000 when the company went bankrupt. First time looking at a 1099-B but I had over 47 pages on the report that Turbotax diminished down to just 106 sales. 

Loosing $1,000 in poor investment strategy was one thing but I didn't think I would be taxed almost an additional $1,000 when I lost more than half of the amount of money into trading. 

Have others seen this? Will the losses be on a later section of deduction/credits? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1099-B Income (capital gain/loss)

your gain loss can be positive or negative

all your trades win or lose are listed and the results totaled.

TurboTax has issues and importing from Robinhood seems to be one of them.

At tax time, you have the option to summarize your activity by Sales Category.

As an active investor, be aware that your category Box A or Box D sales without adjustments do not require Form 8949, so there is no reason to import or key in those transactions.
Instead use the "enter a summary" option to put your numbers on Schedule D Line 1a or Line 8a.

Category A and D are the covered transactions.

If you summarize (recommended),

you only need to supply PDF of 1099-B covered transactions with adjustments that are not listed on your e-Filed Form 8949. and all non-covered transactions not listed there.

in other words, for active investors, generally this is a list of the Wash Sales.

--
If you have two pages (for example) of Wash Sales,
use Adobe Reader to print those two pages. That's all you have to mail to the IRS, given that those wash sales are not on your e-Filed form 8949 already.
(you might enter them manually if they are few in number.)

If you were wise enough to avoid wash sales, you won't have to list or mail anything.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies