turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

contributing to Roth or IRA

Between my wife and I, we have a MAGI of a little more than $145k, she has a 401 via work and contributed 6% in 2020 and now upped to 10% for 2021.  Turbo Tax tells me we don't get a "deduction" because we are over the MAGI limit for her contributions.  

We also have a ROTH but not via our work.  I currently owe Uncle Sam over $4k, If I add $7k to our Roth before April 15th, it reduces our amount owed to $2800. 

Is this the best plan to reduce my amount owed for 2020 taxes or not.   And what is the best plan for 2021, up my wife's deductions to her 401?  Or something else.

Thanks for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you are able to contribute to a traditional IRA then you may be able to reduce your taxable income since traditional IRA contributions may be tax-deductible.

In your case you should be able to deduct the full $7,000 (assuming you are older than 50) since your MAGI is less than $196,000.

A traditional IRA contribution deduction is limited if you or your spouse is covered by a retirement plan at work and your income exceeds certain levels. Please see IRA deduction limits for details.

Please be aware contribution to a Roth IRA are never deductible

Yes, your wife should continue to contribute to her 401k and then you can contribute to a traditional IRA in 2021. Please review  IRA deduction limits for 2021.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you are able to contribute to a traditional IRA then you may be able to reduce your taxable income since traditional IRA contributions may be tax-deductible.

In your case you should be able to deduct the full $7,000 (assuming you are older than 50) since your MAGI is less than $196,000.

A traditional IRA contribution deduction is limited if you or your spouse is covered by a retirement plan at work and your income exceeds certain levels. Please see IRA deduction limits for details.

Please be aware contribution to a Roth IRA are never deductible

Yes, your wife should continue to contribute to her 401k and then you can contribute to a traditional IRA in 2021. Please review  IRA deduction limits for 2021.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies