turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JamesV84
Returning Member

Purchased MLP units late in the year but there were no distributions for me in 2018. Should I wait for the K1 or can I assume: no distributions, no tax owed?

I purchased units in an MLP in late 2018. Did not receive any distributions in 2018. Is it certain I don’t owe taxes or should I wait until March when the K1 comes out?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Purchased MLP units late in the year but there were no distributions for me in 2018. Should I wait for the K1 or can I assume: no distributions, no tax owed?

It might be hard if you're expecting a refund, but you should always wait.  The IRS's computers are looking to match what the LP reported concerning your tax ID (SSN) with what you report came from the LP. There may be some non-taxable information that the LP reports to the IRS that is included on your K1.  Could be something irrelevant to you. Always think in terms of computers. The IRS vs. Intuit (TurboTax)

Its called the "matching program". The IRS computers look to match what a "3rd party" (employer (w2), investment company (1099-Div, etc.) reports to them, with the tax id (SSN) of those affected. It's pretty much their number one way to verify what your "reporting" is correct.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies