Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help with TurboTax Stock question please

We have some stock that we may sell.  Etrade shows the value is about $50,000, and if we sell it, they will take out about $30K in taxes.   Leaving us with a check for $20K that we need for a car.  So we sell it for $50K and take home only $20K at the time of the sale.

When we get Etrade paperwork at the end of the year, it will say that we earned $50K, but the "adjusted cost basis" was $20K?  Is that right?  (1)  What is a simple definition of adjusted cost basis?

The two other questions we have are:   (2) Is the $20K we just received added to our regular salary/income?    If if my job pays me $80K a year, have I now earned $100,000 this year.  And I have to pay taxes as if $100K were my full income?  Or have I earned $130K and I already paid $30 in taxes, still owing taxes on the $80K as usual?

And (3)... I THINK that since Etrade already withheld $30K in taxes, then I'm not taxed again on the $20K.  But is there some instructions on TurboTax or Intuit websites about how exactly we enter this?  The Etrade rep actually told us to make sure we don't pay taxes twice.  Obviously I don't want to that, so where should I enter all of this on TurboTax?
Lots of unresolved questions in this forum about Adjusted Cost basis vs. Corrected cost basis.   It's a mystery to me and would appreciate any help.  Thanks!

thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

1.  Adjusted cost basis is the total cost of a share including any fees paid when it was purchased. If you paid $100 for a share of stock and a $5 broker fee, then your adjusted cost basis is $105 per share.

2,  If you earn $80,000 and sell $50,000 in stock, then your total income will be $130,000.

3.  The $30,000 that is withheld will be reported on the 1099-B form that you will receive.  You will include that amount on your 2021 tax return.

If they sell the stock for 50k, but bought it, plus fees, for 25k, wouldn't the total income be 105k?

Parts of your scenario don't make sense.

Etrade shows the value is about $50,000, and if we sell it, they will take out about $30K in taxes.

There is no scenario where the broker would be required to withhold 60% of the proceeds for income tax.   You might have a cost basis of $20K, making your capital gains $30K.  But the broker almost never withholds income tax from that amount, unless you are a non-resident alien, in which case I believe the withholding is 30%, not 60%.  There's no reason I can think of why you shouldn't get the full amount of the sales proceeds as a check.  You would owe taxes when you file your tax return, but withholding by the broker is very rare, and 60% withholding is impossible. 

(1)  What is a simple definition of adjusted cost basis?

Cost basis is what you paid originally.  Adjustments to basis include stock splits and reinvested dividends.  For example, you buy 100 shares of company A at $100 per share, and the company does a 1 for 4 split. You now have 400 shares, and each new share has an adjusted basis of $25.  Suppose the company issues a taxable dividend of $1 per share, and your broker automatically reinvests the dividend by buying 10 shares at $40 per share (the stock went up in value).  Your basis in the first 400 shares is $25 per share and your basis in the last 10 shares is $40, and your overall basis on your account is $10,400.   If you sell the entire position, your cost basis is $10,400.  If you sell only some of your shares, you  can direct your broker which shares to sell (the ones with higher or lower basis). 

Normally, your broker does a very good job of tracking your basis, and you are not likely to have the expertise or records needed to challenge their calculation if you think they are wrong (it is unlikely they are wrong). 

(2) Is the $20K we just received added to our regular salary/income? 

Your capital gains is part of your overall taxable income.  If you have an adjusted basis of $20K and sales proceeds of $30K, you have a taxable capital gain of $30K.  This is included in your gross annual income.  However, capital gains are not taxed the same as wages.  Short term capital gains (for shares held less than one year) are taxed as the same rate as regular income, but long term capital gains are taxed at a lower rate (15% in your example, maximum of 20%.). There is also a 3.8% tax on investment income if your annual income is more than $250,000 (married) or $200,000 (single).  

If you only received $20,000 because of tax withholding, your gain is still $30K.  You get credit on the withholding on your tax return and if too much was withheld, you will get a refund.  But as I said before, it is impossible you would have $30K in tax withholding so I think you misunderstand part of the situation.

(3)... I THINK that since Etrade already withheld $30K in taxes, then I'm not taxed again on the $20K. 

You will receive a 1099-B broker statement.  This form will show the sales proceeds and cost basis.  The difference is your taxable capital gains.  The form will also show if it is long or short term gains.  If the broker withheld federal tax, this is reported in box 4.  You must enter all the information from the 1099-B into your tax program.

Your capital gains tax will be calculated on your actual capital gains, no matter how much tax was withheld.  Your capital gains tax will be combined with any income tax and tax credits (such as for dependents, electric cars, etc.) to determine your total tax bill.  You will then get credit for any withholding (such as from your job, and on the 1099-B).  If the withholding was more than the tax you owe, you get a refund.

But again, you should not have 60% withholding.  If your gain is $30K, the most the broker can withhold is $9K, and only if you are a non-resident alien.

Lots of unresolved questions in this forum about Adjusted Cost basis vs. Corrected cost basis.

In rare cases, the broker might not know the original cost basis of the securities.  (Such as, you transferred the assets from a previous broker and that broker did not supply the information.  Or you inherited the securities and the broker does not know the value on the date the previous owner died.). Then you have to determine your best guess of what your basis is, and prove it if audited.  

In even rarer cases, a broker might miscalculate your adjusted basis.  This can be affected by taxable vs tax-free dividends, dividend reinvestment, and certain unusual kinds of investments.  If you think your broker's calculation of your basis is wrong, you probably need to take all your investment records to a CPA.  It's far too complicated to talk about here. 

Thank you very much for all the replies, especially to Opus for all the detail.   We are obviously new to this, and I probably didn't word things right.

I guess, the most basic question overall is this;

If I invest $5,000 of my own post-tax money and buy stocks, and then say the value doubles.   I sell them for $10,000.  

Leaving out broker fees and things like that for now, say I receive a payout of $10,000.

What I have earned is $5,000.   5K was my own original money, and  5K I earned in the gain.  So does the broker report that income as $5,000 (what I earned) or as $10,000 (the amount they just gave me)?

@tphtph wrote:

Thank you very much for all the replies, especially to Opus for all the detail.   We are obviously new to this, and I probably didn't word things right.

I guess, the most basic question overall is this;

If I invest $5,000 of my own post-tax money and buy stocks, and then say the value doubles.   I sell them for $10,000.  

Leaving out broker fees and things like that for now, say I receive a payout of $10,000.

What I have earned is $5,000.   5K was my own original money, and  5K I earned in the gain.  So does the broker report that income as $5,000 (what I earned) or as $10,000 (the amount they just gave me)?

In the hypothetical case: The 1099-B from the broker will show the gross sales proceeds in box 1d and the cost basis in box 1e.  Either  "short term" or "long term" gain will be checked in box 2.  From that, Turbotax will calculate your capital gains tax.  In your example, the broker would report $5000 as the cost basis and $10,000 as the proceeds, and Turbotax would calculate the tax you owe on a $5000 short or long term gain.

However, it probably won't be that simple.  Suppose the stock paid dividends and your broker held them in your account as cash.  That $10,000 might represent $9500 in gross proceeds from the sale and $500 of dividends.  Then you would have a $4500 capital gain and $500 of dividend income, which are taxed differently, even though your overall "income" (over your original investment) is still $5000.  

Or, the broker might reinvest the dividends.  You could get a 1099-DIV in year 1 representing the $500 of dividends which are taxable to you, even though you didn't get the cash.  The broker reinvests the $500 by buying new shares.  Then if you sell out in year 2, and make $10,000, your adjusted basis is now $5,500—your original investment plus the reinvested dividends that you paid taxes on—and your capital gain is $4500.  You pay tax on the $500 of dividends in year 1, and on the $4500 of capital gains in year 2. 

Or, let's say you buy shares in a mutual fund.  The fund manager decides to sell their position in company X and they buy company Y instead.  You might pay capital gains tax on your share of the mutual fund's gain on company X, even though you never received the money.  But since it is reinvested, it increases your adjusted cost basis in the mutual fund by the amount of the reinvestment.  

In each scenario, your overall income on the investment is still $5000, and you still paid tax on the $5000 increase in value, but the exact manner and timing of the tax is slightly different.  Bottom line is you should only ever pay tax on your increase (gains or dividends). 

Actually it is that simple, really.

The broker is required to track what you paid and what you sold it for and commissions, if any.

It is rare that the broker withheld any tax on such a transaction. It's your responsibility to make an estimated tax payment, if called for.

TurboTax calculates the gain and the exact  tax for you, that's what you are paying for.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies