turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

find the source of a calculated number

How do I find the source of a calculated number in 2019 TurboTax Premier download version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

When you are in Forms mode, right click on the number in question and then select QuickZoom.  This will take you to the form where the number is calculated.  Or, you may be able to select Data Source if the number was input instead of calculated on a different form.

See the picture below for an example of the menu you will see.

@Andy-P

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for help.

Cheers,

Andy

FYI, this trick no longer works as of 2021 while I am filing my taxes with Turbotax 2020 desktop. The right click does not open a menu. There is no way to find the source of obscure calculated fields. This is a painful problem because some tax information tells you where to enter data on say Form 4797 or Schedule D and TurboTax will not except data entry on either form.

This is very troublesome.  The ability to find the source of a number in a complicated return is critical.  I have been trying to identify the source of a couple of numbers on Form 8995-A and have been unable to do so. Is there some option other than right click?   

Thanks!

I know this question is old, but I just ran into the issue myself and found a workaround, so I thought I'd drop a note here for future searchers.

There is still a QuickZoom menu item, even though the right click no longer works. For me on Mac, I can access it via the overall program menu at "Forms" -> "QuickZoom to Form". The exact location probably varies based on OS, but have a look in your menus!

cc @jumbiesaintj @JFM31 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies