Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which is better, to pay out of pocket or get a loan?

I want to buy a property back in my hometown. The cost will be between $35,000-$45,000. Should I get a loan, or should I pay for the property out of pocket?

If I use all of my liquid money (savings/checking accounts) I could come up with the total. However, is that a smart decision? If I do that, I will only have about $5,000 left for emergencies.

If I get a loan, I would still have access to all of my "immediate" money. I could have flexibility if something catastrophic/unplanned were to happen. I hate the thought of having debt, and I have always avoided loans/borrowing. But a big part of avoiding debt has been making sure that I have plenty of "emergency money" on hand. Also, I have never gotten a loan before, and I've heard that could help improve my credit score (current: 782).  

This property is just something that I want. The buildings are ancient and would require tons of work before they would be safe to do anything with. I want to buy it and begin fixing it up. Eventually when I retire, I would like to go back home and have everything set.

I am an extremely financially responsible person. I have a career earning $60k + annually. No debt. I have a Roth IRA and an investment account. (neither will be touched for this purchase) I have a retirement plan through work as well. No kids.

What would be the most responsible way to move forward? Thank you in advance for your advice. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Which is better, to pay out of pocket or get a loan?

We do not offer financial advice on this forum.  However, you did an excellent job of outlining the pros and cons of cash vs loans.  This will be a personal decision, but I think you may look at something in the middle.  Do not take out a big loan, but also do not leave yourself cash poor.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies