Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

disneycruiser
Returning Member

Home loans interest and points

loan balance exceeds home loan $474,833.72 12/14/2012 sold 8/5/ 2019 Int of $9838.52 New loan $740,043 9/5/2019 pts $8325 Acquired loan $740,043 10/23/2019 int $6465.  It is asking if one or both apply for either going over the $750 limit for this year and under the 1M for the old loan.  Do neither apply since we are under the 1M for the first and it is sold, the second with the points and interest puts it over so do we not claim the interest.  At a loss for what to do

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I wouldn't worry about it.  You are under $750,000 because the test is based on the AVERAGE balance for the year. 

i think there is a bug in the TT program (unless it was recently fixed)... when you answer that question about the $750 / $1mm you get the opposite result than you expected.  if it is still occurring, answer it the opposite way.  You want to be sure your interest is NOT limited. 

disneycruiser
Returning Member

So I should say that neither circumstance applies?  I added up the mortgages and interest and divided it by 2 and it comes in around $620,000.  So I think I am doing this right?

while it won't matter as the result will be the same (all interest is deductible), the intent is to take a 12 month average which would mean your 12 point average is well below $620,000.

For 2020, when that comes around suggest doing likewise but it could be your 12/31/19 mortgage balance already amortized below $750,000 and it won't matter.  But if it does matter, use a 12 point average in 2020 as well! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies