Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the closing costs on a new house purchase?

I received Form 1098 from my lender which shows the interest paid and points paid on purchase. I was able to deduct those. But what about my closing costs I paid when I bought the house? Where do I deduct closing costs when filing taxes?I paid over $6000 in closing costs. Aren't those deductible?Also I paid about $2300 in Mortgage Insurance Premiums. When I added that to my deductions it did not increase my refund. Why? Shouldn't I be getting tax benefits for paying Mortgage Insurance Premiums?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Can I deduct the closing costs on a new house purchase?

For a primary home mortgage loans, the deductions available to you are to: interest, property taxes paid, mortgage insurance premiums, and points. Look for these on your closing documents in addition to any reported on a 1098 form. 

Mortgage Insurance Premiums - These are deductible over an 84 month period. Ex: If you paid $2300 when you closed your home in July, your deduction would be ($2300/84) x 6 months = $164.29. This write-off phases out as adjusted gross income increases above $50,000 on married filing separate returns and above $100,000 on all other returns. Your income may be why you are not seeing an increase to your refund.

Other fees, such as commissions, attorney fees, preparation of deed, abstract fees, owner title insurance, recording fees are added to the basis of your home, and not deductible.  An increase in basis means that less gain will be calculated. These costs come into play when you sell your home.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p936.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies