Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Problem with Form 8962

I've been trying to e-file my federal taxes. It keeps getting rejected because the return doesn't have the form 8962 (Premium Tax Credit).  I had my medical insurance through my state medicaid program and paid no premiums. I can't find anywhere in the program to indicate that, so I don't need this form. But when my return is rejected, it says I need th is form. Anyone know how I can get around this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Problem with Form 8962

Form 8962 is for individuals that received the advanced premium tax credit for their Marketplace Health Insurance plan.  You should have received a 1095-A that documents the details.   Form 8962 is used to reconcile your estimated and actual income for the year.

A 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, is a form you receive from the Health Insurance Marketplace if you or a family member purchased health insurance through the Marketplace for part or all of the year.

Here's how to enter your 1095-A in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.

2. Search for 1095-A and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.

3. Answer (?) on the Did you receive Form 1095-A for your health insurance plan? screen and Continue.

In your case, you will enter NO to the 3rd question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Problem with Form 8962

Thanks...but your answer does not address my question. I did not get Health Insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace. I did not get any advanced premium tax credit. I was on Medicaid for the whole year and paid no premiums. Therefore, there is nothing to claim. I need to know how to bypass this and still be able to e-file my federal taxes.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Problem with Form 8962

If you do not have a need to file form 1095A, please follow the steps below:

• When revisiting the section the default answer is still set to yes but the 8962 and 1095A are not part of the return.
  • If you select yes you will be prompted to enter the 1095A information and you cannot continue leaving the full form blank as an error will be presented.
  • Now you will not be prompted with the yes/no question to receiving the 1095A and will see your entry with options to edit/delete the entry.
  • Delete the 1095A entry and both the 1095A and 8962 will be removed from the return.
  • If you revisit the section again, the default will be yes however the forms are removed.
  • Now, select No, e-file your return, and if you are rejected, then the IRS requires your 1095A in the return.
1Kermitbaby
Returning Member

Problem with Form 8962

I received lump sum unemployment in 2021 for a 2020 settlement, therefore, I have a 1099 G for year end 2021 in the amount of 41,000. This fact keeps causing my e file to be rejected saying I need a form 8962. I did not use the marketplace as I turned 65 in 2020 and started drawing MediCARE AND I was employed in 2021 by Amazon and have employer paid insurance!!! How do I override the form 8962.  and YES, I know that the unemployment funds is part of the eligibility factors for the PTC but I don't qualify under steps one and 2....HELP!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Problem with Form 8962

Enter a dollar on the 8962.  One dollar in month one and you'll be able to efile.  The IRS has a lot of glitches around this form this year.

1Kermitbaby
Returning Member

Problem with Form 8962

where on form 8962 do I enter the $1?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Problem with Form 8962

See if the steps will help, they have been successful for others.

You can try to enter $1 for the 1095.  This will not affect anything on your return, but having the form there may get the IRS to accept your return.  To do this take the following steps: 

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Scroll down to Medical and Click Show More > Click Start or Revisit next to the ACA
  3. As you walk through the questions, you will be asked if you received a 1095-A.  If you did NOT, click YES.
  4. Enter 0's for the Marketplace identifier and Policy number.
  5. Enter $1 for January monthly premium amount and SLCSP
  6. Walk through to the end and submit your return. 
1Kermitbaby
Returning Member

Problem with Form 8962

Thank you! It worked! I was on the phone with TT tech support this morning for 30 minutes and nothing worked! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies