Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CBR224
Returning Member

Home Mortage Interest Worksheet "Borrowed Amount" Field Error

The 1098 form that I received for a recent property purchase in Dec-2021 only includes information for mortgage origination date and points paid on purchase. I entered this information in the 'Home' section of the deductions and credits, but when I do the smart check I am receiving an error message for "Amount borrowed this year must be entered".

When I attempt to enter the amount on the line that is shown on the screen I am unable to click or type in any information, and when I go back to the "Home" section there is not a area to fill in this information. My 1098 form does not have a value for the Outstanding Mortgage Principal, so I am not sure how to proceed as this error keeps displaying on the check.

Is this a common issue? If so is there a fix that is pending or do I need to enter the loan amount somewhere else?

Any help is appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Please return to the Federal Deductions and Credits section. You will need to go back to the offending 1098 form and edit that entry. The program needs a number. It is adding the mortgage information to see if you hit the $750,000 mark to limit your interest deduction. If you have no worries, enter the correct amount. If it could put you over, enter $1. The 1098 should be on a first or second home only.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CBR224
Returning Member

Hi Amy,

Thank you for the quick reply. 

Do I put this amount in the Outstanding Mortgage box when I edit the 1098 entry?

jfrisina

Hello, I have the same question and can't see where to go to fix this.  I've entered the 1098 information exactly as shown.

CBR224
Returning Member

@jfrisina I entered my loan amount in the Outstanding amount box, since on my 1098 form this was blank. It was blank because it is a new loan. Once I entered in the amount I did not receive any more errors in the smart check.

pathik
Returning Member

Hello @CBR224 ; @AmyC 

I have exact same situation as mentioned here, purchased home in Dec 2021, and my 1098 form which I received from my vendor also shows Box 2 blank. Is that correct to do so if I enter my loan amount in "outstanding mortgage principle" to solve this issue?

How do i go back to  a 1098 form?   When i am using Turbo Tax there are no 'forms'.  There are sections and questions.  

Personal 

business

state

etc

no forms

JillS56
Expert Alumni

To get back to the screen where you entered 1098;

1. Go back to the Federal section of your return in TurboTax;
  2. In the Federal section, click on Deductions and Credits at the top of the screen;
  3. Click on the Edit/Add button next to Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098);
  4. Open 1098 in question; click through the screens, answer the questions until you get to the screen Let's get the details from your 1098
  5. Make any corrections at this point.   

@froggiman1   [COMPLETED ANSWER  3/29/2022  5:07 PM]

I did steps 1, 2 and 3.  I went through all questions and screens in that section and never came to a part that says ' Let's get the details from your 1098'.  

I did step 1, then step 2.  Step 3 did not have an edit/add button.  There was an update button on the right side of the screen (for Mortgage Interest and Refinancing), so i clicked that.  Then there was "Home Loan Deduction Summary" and under 'Mortgage Lender'  I clicked 'edit' for my lender. Then it asked for 'Lender Name' and i entered that, then i clicked 'primary home' for "what kind of property do you have?",  then i clicked 'this is a seller financed loan and i did not recieve a 1098' for "do any of these situations apply to you?".  Then a page asked for info about my lender (name, ss#, address, etc).  Then a page that was titled "lets get the rest of your mortgage info" (mortgage interest, principal, origination date).  Then the next page asked "if my loan was secured by a piece of property?" and i clicked 'yes'.  Then a page asked for "points i paid" and i clicked 'i have no points to deduct'.  Then "lets see if this is the most recent form for this loan", and whether i click 'yes' or 'no' the next page is the same.  That page asks "if this is the original loan to buy the property" and i click 'yes'.  Then it takes me to "Home Loan Deduction Summary" and under 'Mortgage Lender'  I clicked 'edit' for my lender and the process starts over again.

I called Turbo Tax and a very nice lady helped me resolve the issue.  Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies