Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home Interest Deduction

I entered my home(s) interest into turbo tax and the deduction is no the amount I entered.  I have a main home  with the original loan and a refi of that home (same lender).  I have a qualified second home (RV) original loan.  The interest being deducted is 80% less than what I netered.  The value of both is less than $750K.  I went back to last years taxes and the same thing happened when I enterd the interest for the original loans for both homes.  What am I missing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Home Interest Deduction

This might be because of the manner you reported the 1098's. Try this to see if this works.

1. For your house loan, report the original 1098 the way that it is recorded, including the mortgage principle balance in Box 2.
  2. For the second 1098, report it the way that it is recorded, except leave Box 2 blank. This is the same loan but we don't want to combine the mortgages, which may have put it over the $750K threshold.
  3. Report the RV 1098 in the manner it is recorded on the form, including the amount in Box 2.
  4. Let me know if this works.

Note: If you took money out of your refinance and did not spend it on your home, you won't be able to claim mortgage interest on that amount that you didn't use for the home. I mention this because this may have been another reason why your mortgage interest was limited. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Home Interest Deduction

This might be because of the manner you reported the 1098's. Try this to see if this works.

1. For your house loan, report the original 1098 the way that it is recorded, including the mortgage principle balance in Box 2.
  2. For the second 1098, report it the way that it is recorded, except leave Box 2 blank. This is the same loan but we don't want to combine the mortgages, which may have put it over the $750K threshold.
  3. Report the RV 1098 in the manner it is recorded on the form, including the amount in Box 2.
  4. Let me know if this works.

Note: If you took money out of your refinance and did not spend it on your home, you won't be able to claim mortgage interest on that amount that you didn't use for the home. I mention this because this may have been another reason why your mortgage interest was limited. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Home Interest Deduction

This Work perfectly.  Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies