Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HELOC

Hi!

Hoping to get some help.  I opened up a HELOC in 2017 used it for an initial purchase of a house (we are renting and still have) and then paid it off in a month (due to another sale).  It's been $0 for 5 or 6 years until I used the HELOC to buy a second home.  How do I input this in turbo tax as a loan with interest and taxes for my second home.  Do I need to account for the quick time I used it in 2017?  Or do I input the date I used it for the second home?

Appreciate any advise you can offer!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

HELOC

If the loan on Home A paid for Home B, the interest is not considered as Home Mortgage Interest. 

The loan must be secured by the property, so in order to take interest as a Home Mortgage Interest deduction, the mortgage would have had to be taken out on the new property. Interest on a HELOC (Home Equity Line Of Credit) may only be deducted if it was used to improve that home, not a different home. 

According to the IRS:

“Home acquisition debt is a mortgage you took out after October 13, 1987, to buy, build, or substantially improve a qualified home (your main or second home). It must also be secured by that home.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

HELOC

If the loan on Home A paid for Home B, the interest is not considered as Home Mortgage Interest. 

The loan must be secured by the property, so in order to take interest as a Home Mortgage Interest deduction, the mortgage would have had to be taken out on the new property. Interest on a HELOC (Home Equity Line Of Credit) may only be deducted if it was used to improve that home, not a different home. 

According to the IRS:

“Home acquisition debt is a mortgage you took out after October 13, 1987, to buy, build, or substantially improve a qualified home (your main or second home). It must also be secured by that home.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies