turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ayanep
Returning Member

Cashout Refinance on Primary residence to buy Rental Property - supporting documents and how to file tax

Hi, I have zero mortgage balance on my ~$750k worth primary residence.  I am planning to do a cash-out refinance of ~300k on my primary residence, and use the entire money to purchase a rental/investment property.  I understand that I can deduct the mortgage interest of the cash-out refinance loan on the Schedule E form, and use the mortgage interest against the rental income - i.e., if I follow the "tracing rules" to trace the flow of money from the cash-out re-fi to buy the rental property.  I  also understand that I need to buy the rental property within a few days of the cash-out re-fi, and make sure not to commingle the money with other personal funds (i.e., use a separate checking account).

My question is, when I file tax, do I need to submit documents showing tracing of the money?  Do I add any statement, saying that I used cash-out re-fi money from my primary residence to buy the rental?  Or do I simply use Turb-tax to file my returns, and in case I get audited I submit the documents to the IRS?

Also, when I use TurboTax to file returns, there is a question in the rental expenditure section that asks if/how much I paid in mortgage interest for loan for the rental property.  There I provide the cash-out re-fi interest on my primary residence, right?  Any suggestion on how I actually provide the cash-out re-fi information while filing taxes would be really helpful.

Thanks a bunch!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ayanep
Returning Member

Cashout Refinance on Primary residence to buy Rental Property - supporting documents and how to file tax

Let me try to re-phrase my question, since there isn't an option to edit my earlier post:

I have zero mortgage balance on my worth primary residence, and doing a cash-out refinance on my primary residence, and use the entire money to purchase a rental property. Assuming I keep track of tracing the funds from the cash-out re-fi for purchasing the rental property, I understand that I can deduct the interest on the cash-out re-fi against the rental income in form Schedule E. My question is, in Schedule E, do I show the interest of the cash-out re-fi in line 12 of Schedule E (Mortgage interest paid to banks) or in line 13 (other interest)?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies