Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bankruptcy

My current roommate has been struggling to make his mortgage payment for the last year due to an accident that broke his back! However he was in the middle of filing bankruptcy and has gone through the process and even made three payment to it already! However he has not been paid for the last 10wks due to family getting ill being the only parent at home with two daughters who both got sick one after the other fallowed by himself and than just as he was getting back to work the out break of covid 19 became very intense dropping his hours at work and ultimately causing him to not be able to pay on his bankruptcy payment and now he is almost three months past due! Taking him almost to the week of his first daughter getting ill. None of them have been tested for covid 19 as they though it was a simple flu going around at 1st. Than after he got sick we were concerned but never tested, as his daughter recovered he than to recovered and more importantly concerned about just getting back to working! Our concern now is that sense his accident he has been struggling for some time now, YES however due to all of them getting sick one by one and than him and only making it to work to barley cover the food on the table before ultimately having no work due to the stay at home orders have been ordered we are not sure how or if we have any option At all from saving his bankruptcy now after slowly climbing back out of his financial and now losing grip yet again due to this Virus out break?! Please I am not sure if you are able to provide us with ANY KINDA OF INFORMATION ON WHAT OR WHO TO CALL OR WHAT GROUNDS HE MAY HAVE as this family has been through so much and stayed so strong through so many ups and downs and with finally being able to see the light at the end of the dark tunnel they have been traveling down now for sometime and to see that light go out ultimately bc of this COVID-19 virus out break would cause this family to lose so much more than just a house! This is the one place they always felt safe in the one place they always knew they had the comfort of coming home to and after working so hard as a team to keep the house out of foreclosures and finally getting the bankruptcy in order I will never forget the look on there faces the day dad came home with the recipient to the 1st bankrupts payment he made and I don’t think they can handle much more let alone losing everything and having it all slip through there fingers for good this time!!
So please please any information or contact info of who or what to call and try to manage them through ANY OF THIS WOULD BE A GODS BLESSING!!
Thank you so much for your time
my name is
Shelly 
and my contact info is
Email: [email address removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Bankruptcy

here are a couple of things

1) get with the attorney handling the bankruptcy so they can approach the judge about the challenges making payments

2) the mortgage is covered by the bankruptcy so they are not going to foreclosure on the house while the roommate is in bankruptcy - legally, it can't occur

3) contact the unemployment office.  under the CARES act, the federal government will being paying $600 per week in unemployment benefits 

4) the stimulus rebates ($1200 per qualifying adult and $500 for each dependent under the age of 17) should be arriving shortly 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies