Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

efrancis

2 Homes

I bought a home by myself about 2 years ago and my husband is in the process of buying a home by his self this year. His home will be our primary residence. My mom and dad will be living in my home. How do we report this on our taxes? do we have to alert our mortgage companies?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

2 Homes

Assuming that  (1) you live in a Non-Community Property State, (2) your  home has only your name / SSN on titile  AND was purchased prior to marriage ,  (3) your home was your main residence till moving to the new  & husband's home, (4) your husband's house -- your main residence to be -- has  only him on title / loan docs,

you do not need to involve your  mortgage companies -- this is only a use change i.e. your house being changed  from your main residence to a second home. Even if you let your parents  live there  it is still not a requirement.   If you rent the property out  ( i.e. use the property as income property)   your home insurance needs to be told ( lower insurance  ) and if you tell the  lender, they may want to  "do-over" the mortgage  (because there is usually a 0.25%  increase  on  income property ).  Most people converting a home  to rental property do change the insurance but do not  inform the  lender ( and as long as  the property is maintained, taxes  & mortgage paid, nobody  cares and no laws are violated ).  That is my take on this 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies